Return to Registration/Membership Menu Return to Conference System Main Menu
~ How to Export data from a website report and IMPORT it into an Excel Spreadsheet ~
♦ You can COPY report data and PASTE it into an open, blank Excel spreadsheet or a WORD document (your choice). Open the blank Excel spreadsheet or WORD document before doing the COPY.
♦ You can also import it into Excel using Excel’s “Web Import” feature.
♦ Or use the report’s “PrintFriendly” printer icon which allows printing as a WORD document, or as a .pdf document. You can also SAVE it.
♦ Here’s how Excel’s “Web Import” feature can IMPORT data from a web page. Ignore any error message dialog boxes – in them, just say “Yes” to continue:
1. Open a blank Excel worksheet
2. Run the report in the website and COPY that page’s URL
3. On the Excel worksheet’s menu (at the top, left of center), look for, and click on Data
4. In the Data menu, look to the left for From Web and click on it.
5. It will open various dialog boxes and will also give some error boxes (click “yes” to continue, for all error boxes).
6. In the dialog box “Address” field (the URL field), PASTE the report’s URL that you copied in step #2.
7. Click the “Go” button.
8. If the report requires a password (many do), it will ask for it. Enter it.
9. Click “Import”.
10. Then WAIT. It might take three or four minutes for the PC to import the data into Excel…maybe your connection will be faster. It gives no indication that it it working but it is, behind the scenes. Be patient – the speed depends on your computer, your internet connection and how busy your ISP is.
11. The resulting imported report has a lot of administrative header information in the top 30 or so rows. Delete these rows to bring your report data to the top of the spreadsheet.
12. Be sure to save it in a folder, where you can find it again!
This might sound complicated but once you do it a time or two, it will be easy. Exporting like this might save a lot of time. We suggest you print these instructions.