Healing Your Spirit
Healing Your Spirit
Workshop Presentation From the 2011 SOFT Conference in Chicago
Presenter: Ms Diane Robinson
Notes by: Gerri Meggett
This workshop provided a new perspective on God and His plan for us. It shed some light on where God is when you can’t seem to find Him.
The presenter, Ms. Diane Robinson, is a lay leader at Grace United Methodist Church in Joliet, IL. She is no stranger to stress, fear and doubt. From having a daughter with an inoperable mass in her brain to a business partner who stole her entire business, she knows what it feels like to be spiritually broken.
Through continuous self-searching, Ms. Robinson has strengthened her connection to God and has developed tools for us to use in our quest to hear His messages for our lives. Those tools included prayer beads, a guided meditation and instructions on employing Angels.
Ten Reasons Why God Makes Us Wait
Ms. Robinson, through her studies, has adapted Reverend R.W. Glenn’s “Ten Reasons Why God Makes Us Wait” to coincide with what the Bible calls the “fruit of the Spirit”.
- Sovereignty Love
- Thankfulness Love
- To give us something better Joy
- To convict others Peace
- Because we make Him wait Patience
- To help others Kindness
- To expose our sin Goodness
- Dependence Gentleness
- To test our sincerity Faithfulness
- To train us in prayer Self-Control
“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.” Gal 5:22-23 NIV
Reconnect with God through Angels
In the workshop, Ms. Robinson offered instructions on how to connect with God through Angels. There are rules for angels, however. We don’t worship angels. Angels are literally messengers from God. We pray to and worship God, alone, but we can ask for help from our Angels.
Before seeking help from Angels, it is wise to first ask God to send you the Angels He intends for us. Secondly, because of free will, Angels are not allowed to intercede without our permission… so, if you don’t ask, they can’t help. The third rule is more of a suggestion to ensure the best outcome. Always include at the end of your request: “This or something better, for my highest and best good always”. This ending will ensure your request aligns with God’s will.
In a guided meditation, Ms. Robinson demonstrated how to connect with God. In a calm, soothing voice, Ms. Robinson gave the following instructions:
- Sit comfortably and relax. Imagine a beam of light that starts at the top of your head and goes all the way to the soles of your feet. See this beam of light come out of the soles of your feet and go into the ground like the roots of a tree, going deeper and deeper into the center of the earth. Pause to feel how the earth feels. Feel its heaviness, feel how it supports you. Know that you are safe and secure, being grounded by the earth.
- Become aware of a red ball of light at the base of your spine (Base Chakra). Imagine the color red and think of feelings of security and safety. Imagine this ball of light start to rotate, turning around and around drawing in fresh energy from the universe.
- Become aware of an orange ball of glowing light just below your navel (Sacral chakra). Imagine the color orange and think of feelings of creative, harmonious relationships. Imagine this ball of light start to rotate, turning around and around drawing in fresh energy from the universe.
- Become aware of a yellow ball of glowing light just above your navel (Solar Plexus Chakra). Imagine the color yellow and think of feelings of personal power and enhanced energy. Imagine this ball of light start to rotate, turning around and around drawing in fresh energy from the universe.
- Become aware of a green ball of glowing light at the level of your heart (Heart Chakra). Imagine the color green and think of feelings of love and compassion. Imagine this ball of light start to rotate, turning around and around drawing in fresh energy from the universe.
- Become aware of a blue ball of glowing light in the center of your throat (Throat Chakra). Imagine the color blue and think of feelings of self-expression and communication. Imagine this ball of light start to rotate, turning around and around drawing in fresh energy from the universe.
- Become aware of an indigo ball of glowing light in the center of your forehead, between your eyes (Third Eye Chakra). Imagine the color indigo and think of feeling of intuition and insight. Imagine this ball of light start to rotate, turning around and around drawing in fresh energy from the universe.
- Become aware of a violet ball of glowing light at the top of your head (Crown Chakra). Imagine the color violet and think of feelings of wisdom. Imagine this ball of light start to rotate, turning around and around drawing in fresh energy from the universe.
Now imagine that you are drawing up the energy of the earth and watch it form a ball of glowing light around your heart. Pretend that you are in the ball of energy. Pretend that this ball is rising up out of the top of your head and hovering above you. Pretend that you are looking down on the top of your head from inside this ball of light.
Now pretend that this ball is going up out of this room, out of this building and rising up out of the sky. Watch as the building gets smaller and smaller. Continue to rise up into the sky watching the city get smaller and smaller, see the state get smaller, then the country get smaller as you rise up into outer space.
Use the energy in the ball of light to propel you into space rising higher and higher faster and faster, past the planets, out of the galaxy faster and faster, out into the edge of space and imagine that you see the edge of space. The outer edge of space is a thick, black wall made up of two layers. Punch through the first layer to an area of brightly colored lights, then punch through the next layer through a thick jelly-like layer to punch through the edge of the universe and immediately your are surrounded by a super bright iridescent white light.
You have arrived. Take a moment to register how you felt. Now, mentally tell God that you would like to meet your guardian angel. Immediately a chair appears in the center of the space you are in. You pretend that you go to this chair and sit down in it. You mentally say, I ask that my guardian angel come to me now, for my highest and best good always.
Now to come back down, look down on yourself from Heaven and see yourself way down in the distance. Jump off the edge of Heaven and slide back down into yourself here in this room. Take a few deep breaths to re-center yourself and then when you are ready, come back to the room and open your eyes.
During this exercise, this writer noticed that the glowing balls of light were the colors of the rainbow, which is also the SOFT symbol. Upon completion of this exercise, many sighs of release filled the room. Participants shared their feelings after the meditation, as well as, personal stories of when they felt God had intervened.
In closing, Ms. Robinson offered this twist on the old adage “God never gives you more than you can handle”:
“Whatever God calls you to do, He will equip you to do.”
Ms. Diane Robinson email@example.com
Book: Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy’s Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back by Todd Burpo and Lynn Vincent
Poem: “The Brave Little Soul” by John Alessi